Reardon Scanlon Vodola Barnes’s attorneys have extensive appellate experience. We have successfully represented clients in large, complex, high-stakes appeals throughout the United States. Our lawyers have handled appeals in more than a dozen state appellate courts and have been before the federal Courts of Appeals for the Third, Fifth, Tenth and Eleventh Circuits. We are additionally admitted to practice before the Second, Sixth, and Eighth Circuit Courts of Appeals, as well as the U.S. Supreme Court.
The experience of our appellate attorneys is not only extensive, but also practical. Three of our partners started their legal careers as appellate clerks in the Connecticut Appellate Court and one served as a federal court clerk as well. The perspective and know-how of our attorneys leads them to handle matters efficiently, while bringing a fresh perspective to each case. We bring to bear our creativity, written and oral advocacy skills, and in-depth knowledge of appellate practice and of our clients’ business to provide effective representation on appeal.
Reardon Scanlon Vodola Barnes’s attorneys have played a leading role in key developments in the law in a number of areas – such as annuity sales practices and the regulation of the secondary markets for insurance products – and counsel clients on the strategic effect that changes in the law will have on their industry. Past appellate successes have included matters involving the Federal Arbitration Act, contract law, and constitutional law issues ranging from federal pre-emption to Due Process issues to First Amendment rights.
RSVB has represented clients in the following representative appeals:
- Represented life insurance company before the Fifth Circuit Court of Appeals in a matter involving a challenge to a permanent injunction, where the court upheld the injunction obtained by the insurer, while addressing the interplay of the Federal Arbitration Act and the McCarran-Ferguson Act;
- Represent workers’ compensation insurer before Third Circuit Court of Appeals in a matter involving fraud, consumer protection statutes and unjust enrichment claims to recover payments made for drugs as a result of improper marketing practices;
- Represent national bank before Second Circuit Court of Appeals in a parallel proceeding dispute involving application of Colorado River abstention doctrine;
- Represented national cable franchise holding company and its subsidiaries before the Eleventh Circuit Court of Appeals in a successful appeal involving due process and other constitutional challenges to competitor’s attempt to obtain cable franchise rights from government entities;
- Represented numerous insurance company clients in appeals in state appellate courts around the country including those of — California, Florida, Michigan, Texas, Virginia and other states — where RSVB attorneys successfully defended its clients contractual, constitutional and statutory rights to protect against secondary insurance market transactions; and
- Represented insurance associations and filed amicus briefs in various matters, including matters involving insurance company class actions over rebating and short-changing claims, and another involving requirement that insured satisfy appropriate care provision as a prerequisite for receiving disability benefits under a long-term disability policy.
For more information, please contact: