Christopher G. Barnes | Partner
Chris Barnes has a national practice representing insurance companies and other financial institution clients in complex litigation matters and trials in state and federal courts around the country. Chris also represents insurance company clients before state insurance departments in connection with market conduct examinations, and regulatory investigations and proceedings.
His practice includes all aspects of litigation and alternative dispute resolution in the areas of life, health, and disability insurance and ERISA. In the life and annuity area, Chris has litigated claims between insurers and individuals involving allegations of breach of contract, fraud, inadequate disclosure, breach of fiduciary duty, state unfair trade practices and consumer protection statutes, and claims arising under stranger originated life insurance transactions (STOLI).
In the health area, Chris has litigated health and long term disability claim disputes under ERISA, billing and reimbursement disputes between payors and providers, and various other litigation matters involving health insurers, pharmacy benefit managers, long-term care providers and third party administrators.
Chris has also handled insurance coverage matters involving various lines of coverage, including Directors & Officers, Errors & Omissions, Commercial General Liability, Automobile Liability, Employment Practices Liability, Fiduciary Liability and Short and Long Term Disability policies.
Chris has represented insurance companies in regulatory proceedings involving annuity products, distribution and business practices, abandoned and unclaimed property issues in connection with life, annuity, and retained asset accounts, and property and automobile market conduct examinations.
Chris also has significant jury and bench trial experience in state and federal court.
Following graduation from law school, Chris clerked for the Honorable Sidney S. Landau of the Connecticut Appellate Court and the Honorable Alfred V. Covello, former Chief Judge of the U.S. District Court, District of Connecticut. After clerking, Chris practiced at Paul Hastings LLP and then LeBoeuf, Lamb, Greene & MacRae, and worked for eleven years with Jorden Burt LLP, before joining Reardon Scanlon Vodola Barnes LLP in January 2013.
Chris is currently an elected member of the West Hartford Town Council, and active in numerous local charities and organizations in Hartford County.
Admitted to Practice
- New York
- U.S. District Court for the District of Connecticut
- U.S. District Court for the Southern District of New York
- U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of New York
- United States Court of Appeals for the Second Circuit
- University of Colorado at Boulder, B.A. 1991
- Quinnipiac University, J.D. 1996 (magna cum laude)
- University of Connecticut, LL.M., Insurance Law, 2010
- Law school honors: Editor-in-Chief, Quinnipiac Law Review, 1995-96; Academic Excellence Award; Academic Achievement Award: Lawyers’ Professional Responsibility; Recipient, Academic Scholarship
- Connecticut Bar Association
- American Bar Association; Sections of Litigation, Torts and Insurance Practice, and Health Care
- Defense Research Institute
Pro Bono and Civic Involvement
- Handled numerous pro bono matters for Statewide Legal Services of Connecticut, Inc., ranging from Medicaid disputes to security deposit cases
- Member, West Hartford Risk Management Advisory Board (2011-2013)
- District Chair, West Hartford Republic Town Committee (2011-2014)
- Elected Official, West Hartford Town Council
- Mentor & Volunteer, West Hartford Public Schools